Babies Can Break Their Legs if You Go Down on a Slide With Them

Unit 142- Part A

142.1.jpg

Unit 142- Part B

galka.jpg Knock down etc.
knock down a building / blow
something down / cut something down etc.
• Some old houses were knocked down to make way for the new shopping centre.
• Why did you cut down the tree in your garden?


Also
be knocked down (by a car etc.)
• A man was knocked down by a car and taken to hospital.

Unit 142- Part C

galka.jpg Down = getting less
slow down   = go more slowly
• You're driving too fast. Slow down.

calm (somebody) down   = become calmer, make somebody calmer
• Calm down. There's no point in getting angry.


cut down
(on something)  = eat, drink or do something less often
• I'm trying to cut down on coffee. I drink far too much of it.

Unit 142- Part D

galka.jpg Other verbs + down
break down = stop working (for machines, cars, relationships etc.)
• The car broke down and I had to phone for help.
• Their marriage broke down after only a few months.


close down / shut down
  = stop doing business
• There used to be a shop at the end of the street; it
closed down a few years ago.


let
somebody
down = disappoint somebody because you didn't do what they hoped
• You can always rely on Pete. He'll never let you down.

turn
somebody/something
down = refuse an application, an offer etc.
• I applied for several jobs, but I was turned down for each one.
• Rachel was offered the job, but she decided to turn it down.


write
something
down = write something on paper because you may need the information later
• I can't remember Tim's address. I wrote it down, but I can't find it.

Exercises

{slide=1 Complete the sentences.}flag.jpg Complete the sentences. Use the following verbs (in the correct form) + up or down:
{tooltip}Key.{end-link}2    turn it down
3    calm him down
4    put them up
5    let her down
6    turned it down{end-tooltip}

{xtypo_rounded3}calm        let        put take        turn        turn{/xtypo_rounded3}

1    I don't like this picture on the wall. I'm going to    take it down .
2    The music is too loud. Can you ______________________.
3    David was very angry. I tried to ______________________.
4    I've bought some new curtains. Can you help me ______________________.
5    I promised I would help Anna. I don't want to ______________________.
6    I was offered the job, but I decided I didn't want it. So I ______________________.

{/slide} {slide=2 For each picture, complete the sentences using a verb + up or down.}

{/slide} {slide=3 Complete each sentence using a verb (in the correct form) + down.}flag.jpg Complete each sentence using a verb (in the correct form) + down.
{tooltip}Key.{end-link}2    calm down
3    slowed down
4    was turned down
5    broken down
6    cut down
7    let down
8    (has) closed down
9    be knocked down (or be pulled down or be torn down)
10  turned down
11  was knocked down
12  broke down{end-tooltip}

1    I stopped writing and     put down my pen.
2    I was really angry. It took me a long time to _____________.
3    The train _____________ as it approached the station.
4    Sarah applied to study medicine at university, but she _____________.
5    Our car is very reliable. It has never _____________.
6    I need to spend less money. I'm going to _____________ on things I don't really need.
7    I didn't play very well. I felt that I had _____________ the other players in the team.
8    The shop _____________ because it was losing money.
9    This is a very ugly building. Many people would like it to _____________.
10  I can't understand why you _____________ the chance of working abroad for a year. It would have been a great experience for you.
11  A: Did you see the accident? What happened exactly?
B: A man _____________ by a car as he was crossing the road.
12  Peter got married when he was 20, but unfortunately the marriage _____________ a few years later.

{/slide}

Babies Can Break Their Legs if You Go Down on a Slide With Them

Source: https://megaen.ru/unit-142-phrasal-verbs-6-up-down/

0 Response to "Babies Can Break Their Legs if You Go Down on a Slide With Them"

Post a Comment

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel